May 28 (cont.): Yes and …

Put down the deposit on our new house (yay!) and headed back to Hubud (where I logged into Paypal without my VPN on and created a whole whirlwind of Paypal drama). One of our new friends, ½ of a digital nomadic couple, Tess, tapped me on the shoulder in the afternoon and asked if I wanted to go to an improv class with her that evening. Yes, Tess, why yes I do.

Improv was a bit of a walk away, but we definitely got to see a new part of Ubud (a more high-end touristy part, but whatever). We ended up walking down this somewhat sketch alley that led to a row of houses. One of the gated houses had a footpath leading to a massive villa, which we just wandered into and sat (we just assumed it was where improv was as neither of us had been before). Thankfully we were correct.

— No pictures, because I didn’t want to seem like a noob in front of Tess …

Improv was fun, but also over 2 hours (that’s a lot “Yes and”). Apparently it happens every week. I will probably go back but likely not every week.

Half the group wanted to go to dinner after, but we all know how I feel about dinner. Instead I walked home, bought some, what turned out to be, some pretty bad frozen yogurt, and happened to run into Joel at a restaurant near home (really need to start writing down names of places ).

He was almost done, but we split a raw beet cake dessert (actually it was pretty good — next time pictures!).


May 29: Lock the doors

Woke up early to go to Wild Health again, this time with Joel. Sadly I caught Koming before and my room at Adi House is booked starting Sunday. Which means I will need to find another place to stay until 6/7 when we can move into Gilles’ place. Koming said he would find me a place. I am going to put all my eggs in his basket. Will keep y’all posted on how that goes.

Wild Health was HARD today. Circuit training with sprints up and down the soccer field between each set (even Joel said it was hard). Sadly, if a sprinter returned back to the circuit training area before the last runner, they had to pickup the last exercise and keep doing it until everyone was finished. In other words, everyone in that class should thank me for helping them build even more muscles!

Here are my legs covered in leaves and sweat:

Legs after Wild Health

After showering, I walked back to Hubud where, like a good little hobbit, I had second breakfast (this time raw pumpkin cheesecake, don’t ask). The view by the café is pretty amazing though:


Then I had a pretty productive day. Finished tweaking some short stories and sent three out to some friends ( not as easy as it sounds — getting feedback on creative work is so hard amiright?)

In the evening, Hubud was hosting a happy hour at a restaurant just on the opposite side of monkey forest. Of course I took more pictures (On the left: I promise they didn’t look afraid of me until I took the picture. On the right: Yeah I just couldn’t resist taking a picture of *whatever* these guys were up to)

Monkey Family Monkey Fun?

The Happy Hour was fun, but I actually have a really hard time in big groups of strangers. I felt pretty drained and really strained to make interesting conversation. Three highlights of the night:

    1. Frankie: A graphic designer originally from the UK, but has spent most of her adult life in Australia. She started a company in Oz that helps students studying graphic design connect and network with industry so they don’t have as much trouble finding work when they graduate. Frankie had just finished a road trip through New Zealand (they hitchhiked the whole way!). Her whole adventure is on film (see below). One night on the roadtrip Frankie and her friend squatted at an abandoned hotel. The squatter who lived there (and let them have a room) “offered” to visit them that night … I am glad Frankie is still with us …
      The Design Kids – 2015 NZ Roadtrip from The Design Kids on Vimeo.
    2. Caroline: A life coach who just seems awesome. Her teaching is all about NOT making you amazing, but showing you how you are ALREADY amazing (all about confidence boosting). She is planning a 4 week (once a week) workshop / support circle thing. I am not usually one to go for this type of thing, but she did make it seem pretty compelling (I mean if she didn’t it wouldn’t be her job right?). She is giving a talk at the Onion Collective on June 8th. I’ll check it out with Frankie before deciding whether or not to commit to something paid.


  1. Shae: My future roommate (with Joel)! We ended up talking for over an hour about some pretty personal things. I am really glad he is living with Joel and meand I think will really balance us out. Shae is a web developer and a total yogi. Website here: livesource.co.nz

Came home pretty immediately after and just passed out.


May 30:

Had a bit of a lazier morning and took my time getting up. Then decided to check out Yoga Barn, a yoga compound in Ubud where LOTS of yoga happens. The path to reception once you enter the place is pretty magical:

Path to YB1 Path to YB2
Path to YB3 Path to YB4
Path to YB5

I took an Iyengar class (level 1 of course) which started soon after I arrived. The class was mostly focused on posture and stretching (I did things with my back I had no idea I could do!). The room was incredibly peaceful. We looked out to a small, green, swampy area:

Yoga Barn

Fifteen minutes into class it began to rain pretty hard which only added to the ambience. We were so zenned out that, at an hour in, when a mouse ran across the room and out the door, no one even seemed phased (yeah … normally that would have probably at least made me jump a little).

After class the instructor offered to drive me back home when she saw I was walking in the rain. She (whose name I don’t know! Ah! I’m horrible!) moved to Ubud from Japan 15 years ago and teaches yoga on the weekends. She was incredible.

Unfortunately I was so focused on our conversation, I kind of lost track of where we were and when she asked if we were close to my place, I felt bad for being lost, lied and said we were, and smiled as I waved her goodbye from a street corner in a part of town I had never been before. It took me another 40 minutes of walking to find my way home …

But, I made it in time for lunch with Joel and Shae! We went to a vegetarian place, Warung Sopa? (Godammit Sydney, just write the names of the restaurants down!). I dropped off some laundry and then returned back to Adi House for some “work.” Okay, so I didn’t work (I read and slept), but it’s Saturday so I think I can be forgiven this once.

At 5p, Joel and I left to meet Shae at the Green School for a movie. After an hour in a taxi (the Green School is only 30 minutes away, but all of us were lost), we made it just in time for the film.

The Green School is actually amazing. It is a private pre-K through High School near Ubud where most ex-pat parents in the area seem to send their kids. The school uses all recycled material, all the buildings are made out of bamboo, and is powered by solar energy. The students play a part in designing their own curriculum and much of the education has a sustainability bent. One interesting note though: I met the husband of a Green School teacher at Friday’s Wild Health class and he seemed to indicate that his wife’s experience was mixed …. Hmmmmmm (maybe more to be investigated here?) —- anyway, for now I am impressed:

Green School

The film we watched was a screening of a new documentary called Planetary. Film’s official description:

PLANETARY is a provocative and breathtaking wakeup call – a cross continental, cinematic journey, that explores our cosmic origins and our future as a species. It asks us to rethink who we really are, to reconsider our relationship with ourselves, each other and the world around us – to remember that we are PLANETARY



Film Screening

The movie’s strategy was all about pulling on your emotional heartstrings. Right after it finished Joel and I both commented to each other that we wished there had been more data (like even one piece of data) or interviews with the actual scientists running some of the peer-reviewed experiments pointing to environmental catastrophe (versus, ya know, only “Zen Priests” and “Meditation Instructors”). We both believe there is obviously a major environmental problem, but we just aren’t as affected by emotional content alone.

Of course, pretty immediately, we realized we were basically the only people in the room that felt this way and, at the very least, I felt like an asshole. Particularly when we shared our view openly with Shae and his friend Lisa (who I had also done improv with and who remembered me). I think we officially marked ourselves as not one of the good guys (:(), but we pushed through the awkward conversation and made it to Ubud-general-small-talk. Win?

Lisa’s friend / boyfriend (unclear) Nick told us about a pool party / open mic night at the Onion Collective that evening and we said we’d probably go, but on the cab ride home, Joel and I realized, we’d waited too long to have ribs. So we went to Naughty Nuri’s instead for some expensive (but good) ribs, fries, and margaritas (clean eating?):

Shout out to Kate for the recommendation!

I do think, having spent now a few weeks (gosh maybe over a month) without having had a sip of alcohol, that one margarita got to me a little #Joel&Sydneyrealtalk. And then I pretty much immediately passed out at home.

Things on my mind:

    • + Moving tomorrow (to Banana Homestay) – need to remember to give Adi House a good review on trip advisor


    • + I’ve finally been convinced to just get a local sim card (it would appear Joel’s patience is running a bit thin with me being entirely unreachable without wifi) — thank goodness I brought an old phone that I’ve already unlocked


    • + Joel keeps telling me about all this cool stuff around Ubud / Bali happening – I need to start figuring out what I want to do and start contributing ideas



Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: